Seb's Saddlebacks to feature on BBC Countryfile on Sunday 3rd January BBC1 @6pm. Tune in to see Seb and his wonderful Saddleback pigs at Silverbirch Farm, also available on iplayer if you miss it.
BRITISH SADDLEBACK PIG HERD COMPETITION
We would like as many members of the Saddleback Club who keep pedigree British Saddlebacks to enter as possible. Committee members are not eligible to enter.
Prizewinners will be anounced and prizes presented at the AGM - so please make sure that if you enter the competition you are able to attend the AGM.
Even if you only have one or two pedigree Saddleback pigs please enter.
The Judges will visit your herd, look at and discuss with you: your stock, housing, feeding regime, breeding programme and your forward planning ideas.
There are several advantages to holding this competition:
- Saddleback pig keepers who do not show will have recognition for their input to the breed.
- Keepers will benefit from contact with experienced judges, hopefully there should be a two way transfer of ideas.
- The Committee and Breed Rep will get a real overview of the strength and quality of pigs in the country, bloodlines and where lines can be spread around the country for conservation.
- The BSBC (British Saddleback Breeders Club) would like to encourage members to actively partake in club activities, and thus gain more benefits from being a member.
Judging will focus on:-
1. Health 2. Commitment to breed standards 3. Improvement of the breed, marketing, publicity etc.
Feedback from a past winner: "This is such a wonderful competition and a great opportunity for anyone that keeps and breeds Saddlebacks to showcase their efforts from home. We still find ourselves talking to people about it and learnt such a lot from the experience. We would encourage anyone to enter and really found the judge's feedback friendly and useful. If you’re thinking about it (even if you only have a few girls and don’t show) go for it, you won’t regret it! Such a friendly inviting bunch of people that are involved in the Saddleback Breeders' Club, you never know you might even win!"